The best season to prune trees is Winter, when they are dormant
It is best to prune your trees mid-to-late Winter, from January through March. Or, when trees are still dormant, but before new growth and color comes in early Spring.
- In dormant season, nutrients are stored in roots and wood rather than the limbs. This will reduce nutrients and carbohydrate loss if pruning is done when the tree is dormant.
- Nutrients are also stored in leaves, so it’s best to prune when a tree doesn’t have any.
Benefits of Properly Pruning Trees
There are many benefits to pruning trees, from overall health to longevity. Here are just a few.
- Increase a tree’s lifespan
- Healthier trees
- Improved fruit production
- More aesthetically pleasing
- Reduce risk of tree or limb failure (the most important reason!)
When it’s the best season to prune trees, hire an expert
- When it’s time for pruning, we use sharp tools that reach higher. Heavy limbs can be dangerous.
- Please never trim trees near powerlines. It can be hazardous to work near a power source.
- ISA Certified Arborists are trained professionals that we have on staff that have studied trees and passed exams in order to get licensed and certified. They also complete annual continuing education courses.
- Having the help of a Certified Arborist assures trees will not be damaged due to improper pruning, property damage, or even worse, human injury.
- Never “top” a tree. It leaves the tree susceptible to damage and increases potential hazards and can eventually kill your tree.
When it’s the best season to prune trees, hire the experts at Mockingbird Tree. We can assess your trees and property to ensure trees are properly pruned. This will help to protect your family and home by significantly reducing potential hazards that often come with winter weather conditions.
Call us today at 479-633-9876 to schedule a free consultation with our Certified Arborist (Or, you can request one here.)
Tree Pruning Techniques, Guide H-156, Curtis W. Smith, Extension Horticulture Specialist, New Mexico State University, accessed 1/4/2023